How do I become a real estate agent in WA?

How do I become a real estate agent in Perth and Western Australia?

It’s a question we get asked a lot, “how do I become a real estate agent?” or “where do I start?”
First off you need to know the difference between a real estate agent and a real estate representative or rep.

A real estate agent: is the person in charge, or to put it in legal terms, the person in bona fide control of a real estate office. In Western Australia this requires a Diploma of Property, a course WCPT just happens to have an amazing reputation for. (click here for the WCPT Diploma of Property).

A real estate representative: is how most people enter the real estate industry, reps work for agents and can be said to be their “representatives” when it comes to selling land or property on behalf of a real estate agent. The important difference is, a real estate representative cannot open his or her own real estate office, without having a real estate agent in bona fide control!

Learn about the WCPT face-to-face registration course here
and the WCPT Online registration course here

Where do property managers come in?

Under some pretty old Western Australian legislation, a property manager is technically a restricted real estate rep, they still have to work under a real estate agent, but are restricted to only carrying out property management duties (something we feel is a bit silly!).

So where do I begin?

HERE with the real estate registration course: the WCPT real estate registration course allows you to apply to the department of commerce (the governing body that controls licensing in WA) for an unrestricted registration as a real estate representative.



Submit a comment